Sunday, June 5, 2011

Thoughts on Co-ops (especially early years)

I've been asked which topics are best for coops and which are best for doing at home -- and I've been pondering that. Now that I'm paying attention to that decision, I have noticed that coop and group learning needs are different for my highschooler versus my almost-kindergartner.

 
In both areas, I guess I look for group learning opportunities to provide things that are positive for the student, it keeps me on track to provide a better quality product in those areas, and makes learning overall more fun for both of us.

 
In the early years, the students have so many social cues they're learning that sometimes learning with 2 to 6 other students their age can provide great learning experiences regardless of the topic.  In the early years, it is much easier to do a coop for supplemental topics where students aren't trying to pick up specific skills -- so it can more easily accommodate different stages of learning and skill level.

 
Social studies, science, art, exploratory math concepts are areas where groups of students can work together without feeling like some are "ahead" of others.
  • Those are areas where I don't put as much effort for Jm as it takes more creativity -- and often more work pulling it together for one student than it takes that student to do.
  • More creativity is required to get the most fun out of it -- again, difficult for me to get motivated to do with one
  • Students learn more about these areas by hearing other students and working with other students

That leaves the more "factual learning" to do at home.

Areas I'm thinking about for coops for Jm this year would be:
Regardless, I'd like to have the units and basic framework spelled out ahead of time -- with expectations clearly laid out for everyone involved. Makes it easier!


No comments: